Cancer Aid & Research
The Cancer Research Fund was begun by National President Dorothy Mann in 1947 as an instrument to fund cancer research. However, it was first used to help rebuild the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine, after it was destroyed by fire. The Ladies Auxiliary donated $60,000. In 1952 the program was expanded to include grants to Ladies Auxiliary members who were ill with cancer, and the program was renamed Cancer Aid & Research. In November 1955 Cancer Chairman Hazel Miller introduced the concept of giving memorial contributions to the fund in lieu of flowers. In 1972 the first postdoctoral cancer research fellowship was awarded in the amount of $10,000 to the Jackson Laboratory. One two-year $100,000 Postdoctoral Cancer Research Fellowship will be awarded to one scientist to further his or her cancer research. As of March 18, 2004, Junior Girls were included in the Cancer Aid & Research Program allowing one grant during her continuous membership in the Unit. Call the National Headquarters for a Junior Girls cancer grant application.
Postdoctoral Cancer Research Fellowship
The Ladies Auxiliary VFW is proud to sponsor a $100,000 Postdoctoral Cancer Research Fellowship each year to further promising cancer research. Candidates should review requirements, complete the application, and submit to the National Headquarters for consideration.
Have questions? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click Here for the most up-to-date information from the National Ambassadors.
Where Does the Money Go?
- January – National Cervical Cancer Awareness Month
- February – National Cancer Prevention Month
- March – National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
- April – Cancer Control Month, Testicular Cancer Awareness Week, Young Adult Cancer Awareness Week, Head & Neck Cancer Awareness Week, Minority Cancer Awareness Week
- May – Skin Cancer Awareness, Brain Tumor Action Week, Blood Cancer Advocacy Days, Oncology Nurses Month
- June – National Cancer Survivors Day, June 4
- August – Special Memorial wreaths at National Convention
- September – Prostate and Ovarian Cancer Awareness, Childhood Cancer Month, Leukemia & Lymphoma Awareness Month, Thyroid Cancer Awareness
- October – National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- November – Lung Cancer Awareness Month, Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month, National Hospice Month